Read Full Policies Here
The Parade of Lights is dedicated to preserving a top quality community parade with thousands of lights and entertainment value, and will ask for everyone’s participation and help as we strive for a SAFE AND HEALTHY event. The current Parade Policies reflect regulations including minimum lighting requirements, entry information, costuming, signage and judging as well as specific COVID-19 related health and safety regulations regarding the use of masks, social distancing and other elements to keep our participants safe. You will be responsible for also reviewing and accepting these policies, and requirements dealing with the pandemic and health requirements.
We are looking for creativity, originality and, most of all…incredible lighting, wonderful music and awesome special effects! The more creative the entry, the better the chance of acceptance and of making this television-only parade and Downtown Showcase one of the most creative in all of Texas. The success of the GM Financial Parade of Lights is based on the originality and artistic creation of our floats and entries, and on the spectacular use of lights and special effects which has set this parade apart.
Submitting an application does not guarantee inclusion in the parade. We have hundreds of applications and typically only accept 100 units – no more – including our sponsors. You can guarantee placement in the parade, along with airtime and commercials in the broadcast, by becoming a sponsor.
- Click here for a full and complete PDF document containing all of our Parade Policies.
- All applicants must fill out and sign an Indemnification Form prior to final listing in the parade line-up.
- Check out our Fire Marshal Regulations here.
Here are some highlights of our Policies that may help you organize your unit for the upcoming parade:
Each entry MUST BE ILLUMINATED (light strands, flashlights, spotlights, florescent materials, etc.) according to the following minimum requirements:
- Floats (decorated unit on a trailer pulled by a tow vehicle/self propelled/ or flatbed) Length
- 5 ft., 800 lights
- 10 ft., 1,300 lights
- 15 ft., 2,000 lights
- 20 ft., 2,500 lights
- 25 ft. and over, 4,000 lights (no longer than 50′)
- Cars/Golf Carts/Tractors 1,500 lights (no more than six units per one entry form)
- Carriages/Stagecoaches/Wagons 1,500 lights
- Trucks (tow vehicles are not included and should not be illuminated) 2,500 lights
- Horses/Livestock (includes pull horse for horse-drawn vehicles) 75 lights each
All individuals in walking units must be illuminated. You can do this with lights (minimum of 50 per individual) using battery pack. *
Walking units will be limited and are required to accompany a float and/or provide entertainment value such as performing a mobile routine, clowning, drill team, cheerleaders or handling a giant balloon or inflatable or use creative holiday costuming.
CDC health requirements at the time shall be in force. ALL parade participants including float and horse riders, walking units and car drivers must be in costume or holiday wear, and conform to CDC guidelines. Please indicate costuming on entry description.
* Exception to the lighting requirement will be uniformed marching units, drill teams and/or cheerleaders; however, lights are encouraged.